Friday, July 15, 2011

It's Blueberry Season!

I went to visit the folks at the mountain house last weekend (friends of mine that are renting my homestead in the mountains).  We hung out for a while, and they showed me that the blueberries near the house are starting to ripen.  Then I showed them the blueberry hill, where there's a lifetime supply of berries if only they could all be picked in a month.  We picked and picked and picked and picked, and I got to go home with the booty. 

Now, these are wild highbush blueberries that have been unsullied by human contact for nigh on 20 years.  The berries are small-ish.  The bushes are tall-ish (as in it would be perfect if I were 8 feet tall).  Two of us picked for maybe 1/2 an hour and the booty was something like 2 cups of berries, which doesn't seem like a lot.

But this morning I made blueberry pancakes and boy oh  boy were they good!  I'm going to make muffins with what's left and then invite myself back to their house to pick more!

1 comment:

  1. There is really nothing comparable to wild blueberries! My family has had a summer place on Georgian Bay in Ontario since my grandmother was a girl, and the island is *covered* with wild blueberries! Summer was always filled with blueberry pancakes, blueberry muffins, blueberry pies, etc.

    When I was about 6 my mother had brought home some supermarket blueberries. I tasted one and immediately wanted to know "What's wrong with these blueberries!" They seemed so tasteless compared to the ones I'd been accustomed to!

    ReplyDelete