Thursday, March 3, 2011

Bye Sweetie


It snuck up on me, Desmond's last day.  He was fine in the morning and at dinner time, but when I got home from NM's house, he couldn't put weight on one of his front legs.  I felt it up and down and nothing made him wince.  I thought it would get better, like so many other times, but overnight he developed a fever and the shakes, and whined from pain, and couldn't get up at all.  I gave him a painkiller, and then another one an hour later and when morning came I made the appointment.

I wasn't this prepared last April, when Desmond had his last health emergency.  I ran him to the vet for blood tests and xrays and poking and prodding and a very expensive operation to remove a cancerous spleen.  I wasn't ready to say goodbye to this old dog and spent a LOT more money than I could afford just to buy more time.  I swore I wouldn't let feelings of guilt keep Desmond alive when/if it was time for him to go and prayed to be able to see when it was time.

So I watched over the months as Desmond became less able to navigate the two steps into my country house.  Started to soak his food when the dry foot hurt his teeth.  Added canned food when the wet/dry food didn't taste good enough.  Picked him up when he fell in the snow and cleaned up after him when he pooped and peed inside.  He was still happy to go outside and stand for a few minutes, and still had a healthy appetite.  But somehow I knew that last night was different, and it was time to let him go.  I was prepared this time and in the end it wasn't as hard as I imagined. I'm sad because I miss him, but happy because he's running in heaven now, and all his pains are gone.

12 comments:

  1. What a loving journey you've been on with your friend Desmond. Thanks for sharing it with your blog friends. Virtual hugs from a fellow dog person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Desmond's time to go on to his next pain-free life. Did ya see that black blur just zoom by?? It was your sweet Desmond running as fast as he could chasing and romping and playing with all his friends. You gave him such a nice, loving last couple of years. Big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godspeed, Desmond. Sent off with dignity, like we'd all like to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shed a tear for you and your dog..........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks folks, Desmond was a good 'un. I'm lucky to have known him for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Enjoy the memories fondly...they are yours to keep forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was lucky to have had such a nice few years with you, Jordan. It's always hard, but it was the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest in Peace Desmond..
    sometimes they come into our lives when we need them and stay till they know we will do fine without them..
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jordan, Sad for your loss of Desmond but happy that you were able to give him a great home for the last years of his life and that you were able to make a tough but correct decision when the time came. Mentioned this before: it's easier to decide to keep them going; harder to decide to let them go even though this is the right decision for the animal. Good for you. Hope he is enjoying running with my two dogs that left us not that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's one of the hardest parts about the part-time vet clinic job I'm doing right now, but comfort and understanding are not hard to hand out and so appreciated. My first dog I had for 15 years and had to put him down when the time came...I know sometimes you can just wait and they pass away in their sleep, but sometimes, that's just not the right thing. Comfort to you...

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so very sad. All us pet owners have gone through or will go through this. It never gets any easier. Our pets give us so much.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks folks. Your well wishes make me feel better. I know Desmond is in a better place, but still miss him. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete