Thursday, January 13, 2011

December is the Darkest Month But January is the Coldest

This is the time of year when I pore over weather averages and records, day by day, and get indignant when temperatures are below average, like they were today, this week and most of the last month.  I almost can't remember the brief January thaw we had a week ago.  It's been frozen out of my head.  Today's average high temperature is 31 degrees, 15 degrees higher than it is now.  Average nightly low is 12 degrees, higher than tonight's expected 4.  I can't imagine the warmth of 31 degrees. It seems balmy.  If it were 31 degrees, I might wear shorts, like so many hardy upstate NY souls.

For the next 17 days, the average temperatures continue downward, until finally, on January 30th there's an infinitesimal turn for the warmer.  February is slightly warmer than January.  Slightly.  You can be sure that I'll be throwing as much ooomph as possible to make sure that February is, at least, average.  I'll be keeping track.  Closely.

1 comment:

  1. my 13 yo son commented to me the other day that if it reached 25 above it would be shorts and tshirt weather.. LOL
    I am glad the days are getting longer.. nice to go out to the barn and do chores in day light at least in the afternoon..
    Glad things seem to be looking up for you all around..
    Melanie in MN

    ReplyDelete