Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Few Years Ago




A few years ago, I lived in downtown Washington DC in a 12th floor apartment that looked like this on the outside and the below on the inside. I grew basil and mint in containers on the porch. I think you can see the tip of the Washington Monument in this picture and the top of the Old Post Office building.  I was definitely downtown.

Then I lived in some hotels and apartments in Singapore, Jordan, and The Hague.  Like the one below in The Hague:


Before all of that, I lived in a house in South Carolina that looked like this:


It was an old fire station with one HUGE room, 12 or 14 foot ceilings and a tree growing in the middle of the room.



And before that I lived in Cleveland in a few houses that I can't find e-pictures of, but they were on typical city lots, 40 feet wide and 150 feet deep or less.

And before that I lived in North Carolina, Georgia, Massachusetts, and New York.

But now - I've settled down, I swear!  I'm living in the last place I want to ever live.  It's totally different from any place I've ever lived before with space and sunlight and trees and snow and wind.  And this weekend I'm going to get chickens!  Chickens!  A few years ago, I never would have imagined this!

5 comments:

  1. I'd say you've been on a journey! Isn't it a great feeling knowing that where you are now (and the whole NEW journey you've begun there) is where you think/know you want to be forever?

    You seem so much happier and full of life in the past several months. That's not to say you were an old grump-dump previous to that. I just mean you seem to be blossoming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You deserve chickens after all the places you've been. I like my house and for the most part, where I live,(especially after I can use my master bathroom again this weekend) but I could see me making another move. To a bit more space and a bit more out. Our little town has been growing up more to tourist in the past 20 years or so and after the kids are out of school, I could see us move. And the world sort of scares me now...I'd rather pick my people more now than ever. Can't wait to here how the chicken transfer goes. DO you box them or cage them or do they deliver??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mama Pea! I am more comfortable than several months ago, definitely.

    Karen Sue - I have to go pick them up, but I'm still working out the details of how. I may use the dog crate. Of course, we'll be having the coldest weather of the season this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for you! (Chickens) I can't wait till I can get some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard many times about how easy they are. We'll see how THAT goes!

    ReplyDelete