Friday, August 6, 2010

Like Wildfire

I had plans for the evening that went all to heck when I got home.  The goats were IN their area when I got home, but then the goats decided to visit me in the house.  How do they make it look so easy?  I spent an hour or so taking down a whole section of fence and putting it back up through a different path.  I think they're pushing down a branch so the branch pushes down the fence, and then walking over the "bridge".  In addition to learning how to eat everything under the sun, they're learning creative ways to visit mommy!  Then I spent some time online, looking at computer systems for my mom.  Aaand, that's about it for the evening.  My precious three hours a day, gone, just like that.  I don't mind.  My plans were to start building the goat feeder and milking stand.  They were only plans in the sense that if I don't have plans, I don't get anything done at all.



I've gotten SO much more comfortable with the goats being loose that I didn't bother to try and pen them as I moved the fence about.  Maybe it would have been better if I did!  These cute little critturs followed me everywhere, staying mostly within a few feet of me.   When I was ready to put the goats back in, I lifted a section of fence and they walked under it, and that was it.  It was kinda fun.

Oh.  One more thing.  A local friend has an ice cream machine that I've been lusting after ever since I heard that she has one.  I'm not alone.  All of her friends are lusting, and she's got lots of friends.  So she sent out a recipe for frozen something, that can be made in a food processor - posted by Melanie at Our Wee Farm, and I just HAD to try it.  It feels like this frozen food recipe is spreading like wildfire!  I want Sue to post it on Allrecipes so I can wax poetic about it and give it ten stars.  I want to give it a name like Gourmet magazine used to (back when Gourmet magazine actually existed).  We can call it Ice Cream (Sue's last name) and it can sound really fancy.  I made the stuff with blueberries and blueberry sauce, and it deserves every star.  I couldn't wait until it completely hardened before I dug in!  I've been hankering after an ice cream flavor I used to have when I was young - peppermint stick ice cream.  Maybe I can make it!



One more thing.  I think this is going to be the year I replace everything in the house except the floor.  Except for the things I replaced last year, this year I've got a new water heater and stove.  My water pressure is surging and Sue's well guy tells me he's sure it's the tank.  I'm trying not to use much water until he can get here tomorrow because this surging can burn out pumps, and my water's been surging for several weeks.  That's on top of replacing the shed roof, the entire woodshed, having the "barn" built, and replacing the (gulp) roof on the house.  Someone did some roof repairs last summer that we'd hoped would get the roof through 2 years, but since multiple places in multiple rooms get wet now when it rains, we're thinking the roof can't wait another year.  Sigh.  Isn't it great to be a homeowner that bought a really cheap house?

3 comments:

  1. I remember when I used to panic over the goats getting out. But now I almost dread them being around when I'm trying to get a project done because they get into everything! I always say, "You can't get anything done with a goat around!" Yesterday I was feeding the animals in the barn when I turned around and saw my milker, Nanette, had somehow scaled over the gate separating her area from the main barn and started hiking up the stack of hay bales behind me. She was quite high up and I was worried she'd start an avalanche of bales. I was able to get a hold her and half carry her down and back into her holding area. They're always such a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, the ice cream maker attachment works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey An(t)on - I briefly looked at your site/blog when you sent the link a few months ago, but now I can't find it. I'd love to see any pictures you'd like to show of your place. Also, if you ever decide to go not-anonymous, I'd be happy to link to you.

    Heather - I *wish* I had a Kitchen Aid mixer. I hear the bread attachment is good, too. BTW, I commented on your doctor waiting room post, but was in a hurry and forgot to put my name on it before I clicked Post. So that anon was me, if you didn't already know.

    ReplyDelete