Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Another mistake



The previous owner of my house left some aerial photos with the house that were taken about 20 years ago. Then, the area around the house was open, for maybe 4 acres and blueberry bushes dotted the area as you can see in this shot, taken from the south.




When April came around and it got warm enough to spend time outside, I started clearing blackberry brambles and other weeds from some areas around the house to try and get it closer to the more open land I saw in the pictures.


After the blackberries were cleared, some tall, spiky grasslike stuff started growing. I cut it down a few times by mowing over it. Last weekend I realized that maybe I made yet another beginners mistake! Here's what I found in a patch I hadn't cut next to a rock. An iris! Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment