Monday, June 1, 2009

Last Freeze


It got down to 28 degrees last night at the homestead. I went into town for a choir concert, and when I came home I remembered to protect the basil and the dill. The oregano and thyme had to protect themselves.

I have no idea what the bush is in between the two buckets. I'll leave it for the season just in case it might be something I'd want to keep. (The story to this is that I've been clearing this wild, overgrown land since early April. Last week my father came to visit and I pointed out a "weed" that I'd cut many down of, and he said, "What, that Peony?") So, I guess I'll err on the side of caution for the first season at least.

You can see that I have fenceposts up, but not a fence yet. Hopefully I'll get the fence up before all the herbs are destroyed by my helpful dogs!

3 comments:

  1. 12 months. Gotta leave gardens and stuff for a full 12 months to see what's what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't really tell about the bush in the middle, but the two striped plants behind the black bucket on the right-hand side of the picture are variegated hostas . . . but I'll bet you knew that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that. Thanks. The bush in the center is preparing to make blossoms. I'll take a new pic and post it soon.

    ReplyDelete