Monday, December 14, 2009

Felt Vests


Here's the end product from last weekend's workshop.  They're still dripping wet in this picture.

The 2nd half of last week and all of last weekend had me rushing from one thing to the next, until finally I crashed to earth last night after the choir concert.  I'm not sore yet, but I will be, and I wouldn't be surprised if I get a cold.  It's not often that the various parts of my life come so close together, but yesterday I forgot the proper shoes for the choir concert.  What did I wear?  The same shoes I wore to felting, which are the same shoes I wear walking in the mud at the 'stead.  Good thing I'm tall, which means I stand in the back row.  All the shiny-shoed people were in front of me.

It's time to slow down and take care of myself for a bit.  I got on the scale this morning after months of ignoring it and find that things are a little out of control.  In October I said I needed to focus outwardly to make friends and a support system and I've been doing that.  But what happens then, is that I spend less time planning meals, making food, being mindful of what I eat, and more time driving places and being social.  I did what I said I would do - I tried many different things and met a lot of people.  Now it's time to choose the one or two things where I really feel that I fit, that nurture me and focus on those, but add taking care of myself into the balance, which means that some of the things I've tried in the last few months will have to fall away.  It's all part of the process of making a full life in a new place, proceeding exactly the way it should.

One more week to the darkest day of the year and then we start to get more light.  This time next week I'll be dropping the dogs off for boarding and be on my way to visit relatives in Oregon for a week.  I'm looking forward to it.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to brighter days. I have the sniffles this weekend too. Not in my plans. Had a snow day and another not too busy day, so hoping I kicked whatever was trying to attack.
    So which vest is yours? This looks like a great class. I keep finding more and more crafty, useful crafty things I'd like to try, but there is a limit of time and resources and space for all my experimentation... So I'm trying to be good and finish up some 'stuff' that I still want to give for Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really difficult to keep a happy balance in our lives, isn't it? Don't know why that is but unless you keep a close eye on things, they just seem to go, grow and take over! Especially if you're a person who has many interests and wants to pursue more things than you can easily fit in. Oh yeah, and take care of yourself, too. And don't forget the good ol' stuff like a little housecleaning, check book balancing, buying dog food and such.

    But we're all lucky we have choices and most of the where-with-all to do what we want. [Unless it involves great quantities of money, that is! ;o)]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen Sue - I avoided saying which one was mine because it's the biggest one there, the green one. But really, there are some tiny people in the class! Just not me!

    We learn over and over that the key is to keep things that nurture and toss activities that drain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan-
    It's OK..some of my best friends are skinny-mini's. I like to think that my size makes them feel safe and protected! At least that's what I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete