Monday, February 15, 2010

Yet Another First

I came home prepared to try making Muenster cheese, but after I fed the dogs, the cats, the chickens and myself, then read the cheesemaking directions, I realized I'd be up to midnight if I started tonight.
So I gave cider bottling a try, and here's what I got.  I did taste it, and I really hope it ages into something a little better-tasting.  It's drinkable, but not yummy.  Good thing I only fermented a gallon instead of the standard 5 gallons.  I primed it to carbonate it (that's beer lingo for adding sugar water), so I think it will taste different in the future.  I haven't figured out if the future is 3 days, 1 week or 3 weeks.

I feel, as Kate wrote in a recent comment, like I've been trying something new virtually every day.  I'm OK with that.  I'm a bit of an explorer; instead of exploring the country or the world these days, I'm exploring new things from here.  The catch is that first tries are not usually resounding successes, in work or in life.  I don't really expect this to be any different.

The cool thing is that now that this first try is almost over, I can move on to the second try. And second tries are often much better than first tries!  Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment