Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hand Truck Chronicles

Things engineers talk about on a date.... hand truck axles and push nuts.

For over a month now, I've been trying to figure out how to put a new wheel on the handtruck that I use to move wood in the winter, and the goat fence battery in the summer.  I went to every hardware store in the area, looked online, did everything else I could think of, including consulting other engineers at work.  I was getting to the point of drilling a hole in the axle when I saw Mr North on Monday.

He made a great suggestion: call the company and ask them for the parts.  I did exactly that on Tuesday, and parts arrived today.  Enough to replace the wheel three more times!  Funny how so many of us missed the obvious thing to do.

This Wall Street Journal will soon be pattern parts for my newest project-in-progress.  A larger waterproof bedspread (the last one was full-size).  I'll cut flowers out of Salvation Army shirts, applique them onto a king-sized sheet, and attach it to the companion sheet with a waterproof layer in the middle.  It'll be quite different (and much easier) than the one I made last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment