Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Murderous Beasts

Here's my murderous beasts, sleeping next to the current copy of Hobby Farms magazine (where, I might add, is an article on how to sharpen a chainsaw chain - how apropos!)

Days these cats have had the run of my house: 10

Dead mice: 4


When I came home from work last night, the concrete blocks I use as a front step aid for Desmond were out of place, and smelled suspiciously of dead animal. I shook them and a maggot-y dead mouse fell out of one. I went to get the dustpan mouse transport vehicle, and came back to see the whole thing, maggots and all disappearing into Desmond's mouth. Amazing what dogs think is yummy - I expected to see it all again, but thankfully his system is made of iron.


The night before last, I had gone outside to watch the stars for a bit and came inside to witness a literal cat and mouse drama, starring Sparky. I closed the doors to keep the dogs outside, and helped, by moving things out of the way as the mouse went behind them. It took a half an hour before Sparky finally incapacitated the mouse and I threw it into the woods. It probably died.
The domestic scene is much calmer than it was 10 days ago.

5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gawd.

    You have our couch. Or we have yours. Is it a hide-a-bed? Cast iron? Weigh about 1500 lbs.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's SO funny! Yes, it's a sleeper sofa. Yes, it weighs a ton. $75 from Craigslist. I needed a small sofa to fit there, and one that I wouldn't get upset if dogs got it dirty. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the picture of your murderous beasts. Could have done without the description of Desmond partaking of his little snack. EEEUUWW and DOUBLE YUCK! (Of course, he could have rolled in it first.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if your sofa is a small(er) one, it must be the little sister to ours . . . 'cause ours folds out to a queen-size, almost-comfortable hide-a-bed.

    That (our) couch has moved from my folks' (Mama Pea's) to an apartment 2 1/2 hours away (and on the 2nd story!) to another apartment 3 more hours away (DOWN a set of stairs), then back up the stairs to a ground-level apartment in the same building, THEN to our first "starter house" 6 hours north . . . and finally to our home here, another 1/2 hour away.

    After helping me to move it (a couple times!) when I was a single gal, my dad vowed to NEVER touch the thing again . . . but, if memory serves, he was on one end of it when it went into the (upstairs - yikes!) library here. ;)

    Chicken Mama

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's the same sofa! Mine is queen size as well. The overall length of the sofa is 75 inches (if I remember right), which is much smaller than sofas they sell nowadays. The perfect size for me - and it goes with everything except blue. LOL on your father carrying it! He sounds like a saint.

    ReplyDelete