Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stages of the Coop

It started with a lunchtime errand to the Fedex LTL facility.  The coop spent the afternoon with me at work.

Then I brought it home, unpacked it in the south yard, and realized that I'm gonna have to spend time with the instructions.  Except they're on CD.   So, back into the house, boot up the computer, print out a 32-page thing and look at about 100 pictures and begin to realize something.

I have to prime and paint this.  But before I prime and paint it, I'm going to have to clean up all the edges, make some jigsaw cuts and drill some holes.  But before I can drill the holes, I'm going to have to go to the hardware store and buy a 7/8 spade bit, because I can't. find. mine.  I can find the 1/2" bit, the 5/8 bit and the 1" bit, but not the 7/8. which is the one I need.

Step back.  Breathe.  Stop trying to hurry,  This is not going to get done tonight.  Or even tomorrow, or the day after.  I knew all of this of course.  That's why this coop kit costs about 1/3 the price of a finished coop.  In my excessive optimism (and the 7 weeks me and the chickens had waited), I had forgotten.

OK, what can I get done.  I can start priming.  So I made a peanut butter and jam sandwich, a pot of tea, and got down to business.  Sparky helped in that wonderful way that cats help, by putting cat footprints all over the place in normal cat brown and also in primer grey.

When I ran out of primer and it got dark, I moved the whole shootin' match inside and tried to continue.  Which is when I realized I'm gonna have to buy a thinner jigsaw blade when I go to the hardware, and buy more primer, and more paint. And a 3/16 drill bit.

So now my house looks like the plywood fairy dropped a load on her (or his) way somewhere.  It's looking like the goats (who I'll pick up Friday after work) are going to be in their new house before the chickens.  I really should be outside building a hay feeder instead of inside trying to rush this coop together.  Or maybe transplanting the broccoli, rabe and leeks into the raised beds, which I won't get to until the weekend now, a week late, earliest.  Funny how everything always seems to happen at once.  Kinda makes me want to take a day off work to catch up.


  1. The hurrier I go, the behinder I get...
    It's really OK if it's not all done. Guess you'd better figure if your goat obligations or your chicken ones are more pressing and start there. Someone called me yesterday after 3:30 out of the blue and by 5:15 I was pinning the hem of a VERY FLUFFY, VERY FULL prom dress. The first cut is the hardest. Got is done before 8 and it went home with the girl so she can wear it on Saturday night and be beautiful. I wasn't even a thought on my morning or afternoon TO DO list, but sometimes the pressure of timing wins out.

  2. Concentrate on getting the goats home and settled. The chickens have a home and a routine and a week or so won't matter to them. Try to enjoy each step of the journey and don't stress yourself out over the small things. It WILL all come together and get done.

    Looking forward to seeing some pictures soon!